- 680g ground beef or pork
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup finely-diced white onion
- ¼ cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 (700g) bottle Billabong crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley for garnish
- Combine the beef, breadcrumbs, onion, Parmesan, garlic, eggs, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Use a potato masher or your hands to combine the mixture until evenly-mixed.
- Use a small scoop or a spoon to measure out a rounded tablespoon-full of the mixture, and then roll it into a ball. Set aside. Repeat with the remainder of the mixture and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the crushed tomatoes in a large, deep sauté pan over medium-high heat until simmering.
- Stir in the smoked paprika, season with salt and pepper, and reduce heat to medium-low. Add the meatballs in a single layer, coating with the sauce.
- Cover and let simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through, turning the meatballs once or twice.
- Remove and set on a serving plate, ladling any of the extra sauce on top of the meatballs; serve.