- 2 1⁄2cups zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick (about 2 medium)
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef (I use 1 lb.)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 700g bottle of Sylvia’s eggplant pasta sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup low fat cottage cheese (or low fat or fat free ricotta)
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (I use 8 oz. divided)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Cook zucchini until tender, drain and set aside. Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat. Add garlic and Sylvia’s eggplant pasta sauce with ¼ cup water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
- In small bowl slightly beat egg.
- Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.
- In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.